Sunday, March 17, 2013

The First Step to Trusting Science: View Scientists as ‘Normal’


How often do you picture a scientist resembling Albert Einstein? This crazy person with electrostatic hair speaking expeditiously is simple to picture. Even though I aspire to become a scientist, I still picture this crazy person who I secretly hope to be one day. However, at the same time, I am anxious about becoming “a scientist” due to this stereotype.

While I want to be that person that is so far off from the crowd, I want to be a person who makes a difference. However, this world is a bit stereotypical and might judge me as if I had my hair sticking straight up. The world pictures these crazy scientists when reading scientific articles. How can trust be afforded to those unable to be properly groomed?

Scientists are not ‘crazy’ people. I have personally met only two who may be titled remotely ‘crazy,’ others could say they had a screw loose. The reason society sees scientists as being crazy is due to basing opinions from stereotypical television shows and movies. Society views scientists working in a dark, basement lab day and night trying to discover the latest cure without time for personal gains. This stereotype can only be altered by modern scientists with human traits.

As Joss Whedon said, “I’ll take crazy over stupid any day.” Scientists will always be slightly crazy. Their work requires years of education and honestly that work can make one go insane. Society needs to realize that the best scientist may appear to be ridiculous, for example, Albert Einstein. However, these scientists can still be trusted. The stereotype of scientist may cause mistrust from the public especially among science writing. The science writer cannot do much to try to alter this opinion except continue to publish articles in the most trustworthy manner (and maybe publish a few ‘normal’ pictures).

No comments:

Post a Comment