Sunday, March 31, 2013

The First Step to Informing Your Audience: Speak the Truth


Fairness and balance are two objectives that many want from their media. Not only does one get both sides of the story, but equal amounts of both sides. But is it really fair to be balanced? In science, the research gives one explanation, not ‘ifs.’ Earlier, I noted that science is not always right, so shouldn’t that point to describing both sides of the story? What is a science writer to do?

As Ricky Williams said, “To talk about balance, it’s easier to talk about what’s out of balance. And I think anytime that you have any disease, and disease meaning lack of ease, lack of flow… dis-ease. So any time there’s disease, you’re out of balance, whether it’s jealousy, anger, greed, anxiety, fear.” Some media outlets have goals as to what to show their audience. Certain news shows may be conservative while others are liberal. Depending on the source, other ‘baggage’ may affect what a news source may present to their audience. As Williams said, there are so many aspects to take, in this case, the news out of balance. But what is really fair?

From the words of Michael Pollan, “Fairness forces you – even when you’re writing a piece of highly critical of, say, genetically modified food, as I have done – to make sure you represent the other side as extensively and as accurately as you possibly can.” So, a journalist wants to represent both sides, but should a science writer?

I do not know.

I am in my first six months of being a science writer and certainly do not have many answers. According to a recent study, Fox News viewers know less about particular issues than those who do not watch the news. The motto of Fox News is ‘fair and balanced.’ Is this statement misleading the audience or does Fox News have an agenda to convey the news?

When I write science articles, I offer both sides of the story that come from science. I only report scientific reports, not advocate claims. I trust that my balance continues to be fair to science and that my readers are never misled.

No comments:

Post a Comment